Saturday 21 December 2013

Adoption Bracelets

We have been toying with this option to raise money for our adoption since we began this journey.
There are tons of ways you can raise money for adoption, and we never felt right asking our friends and family for money for something we wanted to do. Like travelling, we all pay for our own adventures and this is ours. 

I have talked to many people, from family to friends and even strangers who have asked how are we paying for this adoption. We have made choices in our lives since we have chosen to adopt. We actually were saving to buy a bigger home in the Fall of 2011 and by December 2011 we had enough with trying and decided to stay where we were and go ahead and meet with the adoption agency. Then we got a phone call from the fertility clinic in Calgary for my surgery in May of 2012. So we put everything on hold to find out about my health and when to move forward. It was hard to let go of having a biological child but by June 2012 we were on our way to be on the list. We had about half of the 12,000 saved already and knew we could move forward. 

Here we sit, 15 months later we have moved into a bigger home and have saved the rest of the adoption cost. It is high, but it is my journey and I will pay whatever it takes so I could be a mother. It bothers me sometimes when talking to people about adoption and they ask how much and then complain or make comments on the cost. I think it is high, but it is the only way I can be a mother. Sometimes I want to ask them how they became parents. I just find it strange when someone who can have a child makes a negative comment about the cost I am spending on becoming a mother when they lucked out and could have them naturally. It hurts a little. No one should say anything to me, It is my right to be a mother and it so happens we have had to pay.

After the year and months have gone by I have grown into my role as an adoptive mother, but I am not quite there, I am in waiting. I find things that keep me motivated to stay strong and hopeful. One huge thing is my art, and my bracelet I wear. Many people have asked me about it when I wear it and it gets the world talking about it and just embracing our journey.

This got us to thinking, we do not need the money right now, as we do have the rest sitting waiting for our child to arrive but we need positive thoughts in the universe. We also have been on the list for over a year and costs will start to add on the longer we are on the list, so all the funds from these bracelets will go towards our adoption.

What we need is our message to be spread the more people growing our love for our child may bring him/her home sooner. We want all of you to have the opportunity to share in bringing our little one home and everyday put those positive thoughts out there to whoever is listening. And if you have been doing it already we thank you.

Here is the first batch.

 

Thank you for your continued support and love.

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, I have enjoyed reading your blog and appreciate you sharing your journey. The bracelets look awesome, and are obviously made with love<3

    I just wanted to mention I have had a couple of close friends adopt a baby, and younger children from Child + Family Services in RD. There is no cost for adoption, and wait times are less as so many children are waiting for forever homes. All the best:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. We would like to hear more. We have looked into both and still would like to know more about adopting within the public system and may consider it in the future.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for commenting. We would like to hear more. We have looked into both and still would like to know more about adopting within the public system and may consider it in the future.

      Delete