Saturday 7 February 2015

#inspiration

  Lauren and I started to recently update and re-do parts of our Adoption profile book for the birthmothers, partly because we need more recent pictures and words, but we received some incredible inspiration from our new-found friend through Adoption Ali M. Thanks Ali!  :)

  Speaking of inspiration, I wanted to share mt own personal page on inspiration.  Really because I focus on my father, and recently I got to go to see our beloved home-town Calgary Flames just over a week ago.  Actually the great story there (to re-iterate what I posted before about #balance) was that I got those tickets as a gift from my Regional Manager at Moxie's (you rock Jen), which came right from the President of the company.  Just because they thought I was really trying to make a difference and working hard at my job.  Can't express how awesome that felt, but also that I was able to take my Dad, who at the ripe young age of 82 hasn't been to a game in years and it was an incredible experience we won't soon forget.

Have to say though that the Flames need a disclaimer when Johnny Hockey does his magic and dipsy-doodles on a breakaway because we both jumped out of our seats a few times I could have tumbled!  (haha, and for anyone who knows me well, we wouldn't want that again, but that's another story).

Anyhow, here is my Adoption book page on inspiration:



  Yes, that's me talking to a goat.  (RIP Garrett. You're in my heart old friend, will miss our chats!)

  But all goats aside, when we starting updating our book lots of emotions starting flooding back, things we thought about at the start of this process years ago.
  My Mom was always the tough one, who was loving, but laid down the law :)  I still hold a special connection with her because she organized so much and wanted the best for us, and as a teacher always made sure I was learning from everything that happened in life.  She has always held an overwhelming and extroverted love and affection for those she loves, and is always full of hugs and kisses (and yes still pinches my cheeks and calls me her baby.. geesh, haha).

  When we think of ourselves as a parent though, I hold a special place in my heart for my father Donald Burns.  He is the biggest reason why I wanted to become a father, because I wanted to emulate him and make him proud.  Dad has always been the quiet one (of the two), but when he spoke it resonated with me.  Always a quick wit, dry humor, well spoken, and clever... oh man you want this guy on your trivial pursuit team!  But you knew he was always there, always a shoulder to cry on, always someone who gave 110% for his kids.
  Dad is so inspiring because of his patience and unrelenting love.  He would work long days at the office, but when he came home (after a 15 minute power nap of course) he always made time for me.  We did so much together, and through his patience he helped parent me with support and love.  And you never wanted to let him down.  It still motivates me to this day, when I tell him about my achievements it really is important how he feels and when he tells me how proud he is.
  I still remember his retirement party from Gulf years back, and his speech.  I can't remember the words, but I remember looking around the room and seeing the smiles on the faces of all the people he worked with.  I remember how Dad made everyone feel.  They all felt good, and they respected and missed him.  His work family felt as strongly about him as his own family did.  Don't think I will ever forget that, and remember that how we act in life to everyone around us defines who we are as a person.  How we made them feel.  To strangers, to co-workers, and especially our kids.  Dad always met challenges with conviction, patience, and understanding above all.

  Have to say that I also see my Dad in the awesome men my sister's chose to marry.  All of them in some way remind me of my Dad and his qualities.  Very proud to have those guys as my brothers and part of our family.  Rob, Dave, Louie  <3

  When I think of myself as a husband, mentor and a parent, I will always think of how my Dad would have done it.  Our child will be my P.B.T.L.L.F. and help them work and learn through the challenges of life, and adoption, together.  The same way my Dad would have done.


  I just hope our child feels the same way that I do about my Dad, because then I think I'm doing ok, no matter what happens.

  Love you Dad.



Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment