Monday 1 December 2014

My identity in print

When we do a home study for the adoption process, it is often that our lives are looked at to ensure we are the right people to have a child.  Our relationship is interviewed, our past brought to light, our habits, how we act, how we fight, how we teach, how we love, how we intend to parent.

It's not something that is all-together pleasant, but in the end you really take an introspective look at who you are and make you as best prepared to bring a child into your life.  It's beneficial, and painful at the same time.

Now something that you all may or may not know, is that to get on the adoption list you need to get a criminal record check done.  Makes a lot of sense, as I know that my Dad for instance has done so for something as simple as volunteering at his local church.

What has happened to me multiple times now since undergoing the criminal check, is getting "flagged" because my birthday happens to fall on the same day as someone who has a criminal record.  Now you can change your name, but it's tough to change your birthday, and of course not your fingerprints.  So again I've had my fingerprints taken at the local RCMP so that we can get clarification that I am who I am.


I find solace in knowing that although there has been so little progress lately, that this is at least something, preparing us for the next step.  



JB

No comments:

Post a Comment